What does the word "sea spray" mean?
The word "spray" stems from the Middle Dutch word "spraeien," meaning "to sprinkle or scatter." It later entered the English language with a similar meaning, referring to the dispersal of small particles or droplets.
The term "sea spray" combines "sea," representing the body of saltwater, and "spray," indicating the misty droplets that are lifted into the air by the ocean waves.
It's important to know that sea spray is the droplets of seawater thrown into the air by waves and wind. This name is often used to describe the special atmosphere of seaside coasts, where the air is permeated by the scent of the sea and sea spray.
Sea spray fragrance evokes this unique atmosphere, where the freshness and vivacity of the sea mingle with the softness of flowers and the warmth of the sun. It's an epiphany for wild nature and the beauty of seascapes, transporting the wearer to distant, enchanting horizons. With its delicate, ionic notes, this fragrance is an invitation to escape and discover new olfactory horizons.
In the beginning...
The origins of sea spray go back thousands of years, to when the sea first appeared on Earth. Sea spray is created when waves break against rocks or shorelines, throwing seawater into the air. The wind then picks up these water droplets and carries them inland, creating an atmosphere impregnated with the smell of the sea.
Sea spray also has an important impact on the coastal environment, helping to maintain the humidity necessary for the survival of plants and animals. It also brings essential nutrients to the marine ecosystem, transporting mineral salts and micro-organisms.
DID YOU KNOW? Sea spray has a long history, dating back to ancient times, when it was considered a symbol of the sea gods. In the Middle Ages, sailors used sea spray to predict weather and wind direction, by observing its direction and density. Sea spray has also inspired many artists and writers, who have captured its beauty and mystery in their works. Today, sea spray continues to be a source of inspiration for many people, especially perfumers.
What did you know about sea spray in perfumery?
Sea spray fragrances are created using synthetic molecules in perfumery. Perfumers often use a combination of natural ingredients and synthetic molecules to obtain the desired notes in a fragrance. To create "sea spray" perfumes from synthetic molecules, perfumers can use ingredients that evoke the scent of the ocean, sea air and natural sea spray. As a result, perfumers experiment and combine different molecules to develop complex, realistic marine accords.
Its olfactory profile is composed of salty notes, sea breeze, seaweed and warm sand. This essence evokes seaside vacations, bringing a sense of freedom and well-being. Perfumes with sea spray notes are particularly popular in summer, as they offer a pleasant freshness in sunny weather. They are also suitable for those seeking light, subtle fragrances, without being too sweet or flowery. Sea spray fragrances can be worn every day, for a touch of freshness and sophistication.
Sea spray perfume is a popular choice for those seeking a refreshing, invigorating marine fragrance. This fragrance is often associated with the sea and the beach, reminiscent of vacations and moments of relaxation. In perfumery, sea spray accords are often used in combination with other marine notes such as synthetic raw materials, seaweed and oakmoss to create fragrances evocative of the beach and ocean.
In terms of olfactory accords, sea spray is often combined with notes of bergamot, lemon and grapefruit to reinforce its fresh, invigorating quality. Notes of lavender, cedarwood and vetiver can also be added to add depth and complexity to the fragrance.
Sea spray can also be used as a heart note to reinforce the fragrance's staying power and give it a salty feel. Their use in perfumery can vary according to the perfumer's creativity, allowing for a wide variety of sea spray fragrances on the market.
Sea spray has long been associated with a variety of health and well-being benefits. Here are just a few of the positive effects attributed to it:
• It has an invigorating effect. Considered refreshing and stimulating, sea air rich in minerals, as well as negative ions and volatile compounds, can help revitalize body and mind, providing a feeling of freshness and vitality.
• Soothing effect: Sea spray is often associated with soothing, relaxing effects. Listening to the sound of the waves, seeing the ocean and even smelling the sea air can promote a sense of calm and reduce stress.
• Skin benefits: Seawater and sea spray contain minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium and sodium, which can have beneficial effects on the skin. They can help nourish, hydrate and remineralize the skin, promoting a healthy appearance.
• Decongestant effect: Inhaling sea spray can help relieve congestion in the respiratory tract. Particles in the sea air can help open sinuses, relieve allergies and respiratory problems and promote easier breathing.
• Purifying effect: Sea spray has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Salt water and minerals can help purify the skin by eliminating impurities and bacteria, which can be beneficial for skin problems such as acne.
Some popular sea-spray perfumes...
There are several famous fragrances that capture the essence of sea spray and sea air. Here are just a few examples:
• Embruns d'Ylang by Guerlain is an exotic Eau de Parfum that combines the alluring scent of ylang-ylang with the invigorating essence of sea spray. This fragrance captures the tropical beauty of ylang-ylang flowers and the refreshing mist of the ocean, offering a captivating and harmonious olfactory experience.
• Acqua di Gio Eau de Toilette by Giorgio Armani is an iconic fragrance capturing the essence of the sea. With refreshing citrus notes, floral undertones, and a woody base, it has achieved timeless popularity and represents the spirit of the Mediterranean coastline.
• Bobbi Brown Beach Eau de Parfum is known for its beachy and sun-kissed vibe, this perfume combines notes of jasmine, mandarin, and sand jasmine to recreate the scent of a day at the seaside.
• Jo Malone London Wood Sage & Sea Salt : A captivating blend of sea salt, sage, and driftwood, this fragrance evokes the rugged and refreshing ambiance of coastal landscapes.
These famous perfumes have succeeded in capturing the essence of sea spray, creating fragrant compositions that evoke the sensations and memories associated with the sea and ocean. They have gained worldwide popularity and are appreciated for their freshness, liveliness and refreshing character.
Sea Spray X Bon Parfumeur
Bon Parfumeur also offers a wide range of uniquely crafted sea spray fragrances to suit all tastes, from light, refreshing notes to more intense, complex scents.
• Eau de parfum 801, for example, is a unisex fragrance that combines top notes of sea spray, cedarwood and grapefruit for a fresh, clean scent. For lovers of woodier fragrances.
• Eau de parfum 803 is an interesting option, blend of fresh notes of sea spray and ylang-ylang in the heart notes and ambergris and patchouli in the base notes.