Bon Parfumeur X oud
Bon Parfumeur Paris offers the unisex oud fragrance, the 903: Woody wildness, eroticism and mystery. The perfume opens with an intriguing contrast between the fresh notes of Nepalese berries and the warm notes of saffron. The body of the fragrance is designed around oud and musk, supported by other powerful woods. A bewitching, highly sensual fragrance. With oud as a base note, accompanied by saffron and Nepalese berries, the 903 perfume for men and women is sure to conquer your sense of smell with its woody, spicy scents.
What does the word "oud" mean ?
Oud, also known as agarwood, takes its name from the Arabic "al-oud", meaning "wood". It is extracted from the Aquilaria tree, found in Southeast Asia. This wood is prized for its rich, woody fragrance. Its use goes back thousands of years, as a precious ingredient in perfumery and traditional culture.
In the beginning…
The history of oud dates back to antiquity. It was burned in religious ceremonies and for medicinal purposes. The wood was burned as incense, and the smoke inhaled to treat a variety of physical and spiritual ailments. It was only later that oud was used in perfumery to add a deep, richly scented base note. It was also used as a fixative, to make other scents last longer. In the modern era, oud has become increasingly popular among perfume lovers and luxury houses. Its rise is linked to this period's growing interest in the East and exoticism, as well as the rise of Middle Eastern and Asian perfumery.
But where does oud come from? Oud is derived from the resinous heartwood of the Aquilaria tree, native to Southeast Asia. When the tree is infected by a certain type of mold, it produces a resinous substance rich in aromatic compounds. This resin is harvested and transformed into oud.
The culture of the oud
The main oud-producing regions are in Southeast Asia, notably Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia. Oud is also produced in Laos, Thailand, India and Bangladesh. These regions are home to the Aquilaria tree, whose wood is used to extract the precious oud, appreciated the world over for its unique fragrant notes and its use in luxury perfumery.
The process of planting agar is not unlike that of other trees. Seeds sown in fertile soil are given time to germinate. Once the seedlings are large enough, they are installed permanently in a plantation. Agar trees can reach 40 meters in height. Once the trees have matured, the oud production process can begin. Why? The aim is to create an infection in the tree, usually through a wound or incision. The tree will then produce resin as a natural defense mechanism against infection. This resin is then used to create the essence of oud.
The first step in harvesting is to identify the Aquilaria tree that has produced oud, as not all of them do. It is therefore essential to find those that have been infected by these fungi. Once identified, the harvesting process begins. The most common method is to collect the resin in small bamboo baskets and leave it to dry in the sun for several days.
What do you know about oud in perfumery ?
But how do you turn this resin into an ingredient for making perfume? Once the resin is dried, various methods can be used, the best known being steam distillation, which consists of heating the resin and recovering the oil that is extracted. And that's it! The oud oil is then left to age for several years to allow the fragrance to mature and develop.
The scent of oud is rich, complex and resinous, with a touch of warm, woody nuance! Nevertheless, this ingredient with its woody, sweet and exotic scent, is complex to match. Indeed, perfumers must take great care to select the right ingredients to complement the wood's distinctive scent. The most popular way to match oud is with floral notes. The deep, woody scent of oud will be perfectly contrasted by slightly sweet, floral and sunny fragrances.
Oud is said to have many virtues. It is used as incense wood in Chinese pharmacopeia. It is also a good anxiolytic and antioxidant, acting on anxiety, stress and cell aging. It also regulates breathing, digestion and sleep disorders. What's more, while it was once used for medicinal purposes in the Middle East, today oud can help in the treatment of diseases such as cancer, diabetes and cholesterol.
Popular Oud perfumes...
When it comes to perfumes, few ingredients captivate the senses quite like oud. This precious and aromatic resin has been cherished for centuries in various cultures, especially in the Middle East. Its intoxicating and luxurious scent has found its way into the creations of many renowned perfume houses, making oud-infused fragrances highly sought after. If you're looking for a perfume that exudes opulence and allure, exploring the realm of the best oud fragrances is an experience you won't want to miss:
• Oud Wood by Tom Ford is a perfume for men. It is the classic fragrance among perfume lovers. Warm, spicy and woody, this fragrance with notes of oud, pink berries and cardamom, leaves a sophisticated, elegant scent on anyone who wears it.
• Colonia Intensa Oud by Acqua di Parma is a masterpiece among men's fragrances, seamlessly blending the timeless elegance of oud with vibrant citrus notes. This exceptional fragrance exudes a captivating aura that is both sophisticated and invigorating.
• Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone London is an amber perfume for women and men that unsurprisingly features oud and bergamot, together with Virginia cedar, orange and Amalfi lemon.
• Oud Satin Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian is an extraordinary amber woody fragrance that transcends gender boundaries. Its captivating blend of vanilla, rose, and oud smell like a symphony of sensual and luxurious notes. Francis Kurkdjian Oud Satin Mood is an olfactory masterpiece that embraces both sensuality and elegance, making it a truly unforgettable fragrance for those who appreciate the allure of oud.
• Oud Immortel by Byredo is an exquisite woody chypre eau de parfum that beautifully captures the allure of oud. With notes of Limoncello, incense, cardamom, patchouli and oakmoss, this Byredo Oud Immortel offers a journey into the enchanting world of oud.
• Black Aoud eau de toilette by Montale. This perfume brand, known for its oud-based fragrances, offers you Black Aoud, one of their most popular scents. With notes of rose, oud, amber and musk, this sensual perfume is perfect for special occasions.
• The Other Side of oud, a men's fragrance by Atkinsons, is a unique blend of the fragrance's signature coffee and oud. Accompanied by vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom, this combination brings a warm sweetness in contrast with the depth of oud.
• Oud Ispahan by Dior, let yourself be dazzled by an intense feminine oud fragrance. This woody, oriental cocktail fragrance offers freshness and intensity all day long.
• Another Oud by Juliette has a Gun is a captivating, contemporary blend of woody and oriental accords, offering a modern interpretation of the traditional oud with a bold, sensual twist. Its bewitching trail and refined composition make it an irresistible, intoxicating fragrance for those seeking elegance and originality.
• M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent is a captivating perfume that highlights the richness and intensity of oud. This sensual, woody fragrance marries oud with notes of mandarin, patchouli and myrrh, creating a warm, mysterious blend.